As ... as - significa (tão ... quanto) ou (tanto ... quanto) nas frases comparativas.
Vamos estudar esta situação acima:
Paulo, Jorge and Diego are all rich. They are all very rich.
Paulo has 1 milion, Jorge has 500 reais and Diego has 120 reais. So:
Jorge is rich. He is richer than Diego. But he isn't as rich as Paulo.
1. Mais alguns exemplo com: not as ... as
- Tom isn't as old as he looks. (=he looks older than he is)
- The city centre wasn't as crowded this morning as it usually is. (=it is usually more crowded)
- Jenny didn't do as well in the exam as she had hoped. (=she had hoped to do better)
- 'The weather is better today, isn't it?' 'Yes, it's not as cold.' (=yesterday was colder)
- I don't know as many people as you do. (=you know more people)
2. Nós tambem podemos dizer: not so ... as
- It's not warm but it isn't so cold as yesterday. (=...it isn't as cold as...)
3. Less... (than) é igual: 'not so ... as':
- I spent less money than you. (=I didn't spend as much money...)
- The city centre was less crowded than usual. (=it wasn't as crowded...)
4. Nós podemos usar "as ... as", mas nunca "so ... as" em frases afirmativas e perguntas:
- I'm sorry I'm late. I got here as fast as I could.
- There's plenty of food. You can have as much as you like.
- Let's walk. It's just as quick as taking the bus.
- Can you send me the money as soon as possible, please?
5. Podemos ainda usar certas expressões como: twice as ... as, three times as ... as etc...:
- Petrol is twice as expensive as it was a few years ago.
- Their house is about three times as big as ours.
- My car is twice as fast as your motorcycle.
6. Podemos usar: the same as (nunca usar "the same like"):
- Ann's salary is the same as mine. = Ann gets the same salary as me.
- Tom is the same age as George.
- 'What would you like to drink?' 'I'll have the same as you.'
Than me / Than I am (qual o correto?)
1. Geralmente é usado desta forma:
- You are taller than me. ( nunca "than I")
- He is not as clever as her. (nunca "as she")
2. Depois de "than" e "as" geralmente é usado (me, him, her, them, us) quando tem verbo. Compare:
- (incorreto) ------------------------------------------------ (correto)
- You are taller than I am. <------------------> You are taller than me.
- They have more money than we have. <---> They have more money than us.
- I can't run as fast as he can. <---------------> I can't run as fast as him.